Tuesday, May 20, 2014

And so it Begins

Greetings all!  My name is Justin Davis and I will be serving next year as a missionary for the Episcopal Church in Hong Kong with their Mission to Seafarers.  I am extremely excited to begin this new journey, especially because I get to represent the YoungAdult Service Corp, also known as YASC (basically the Episcopal Church’s version of the Peace Corp).  Moving to Hong Kong will be a huge transition for me, and I want to thank all who are reading for their support and prayers while I follow this call to mission work that God has put into my heart. 
I’ll start off by telling you all a little bit about myself.  I was born and raised in Chesterfield County, Virginia (a suburb of Richmond) and have spent the last four years at Virginia Commonwealth University. (GO RAMS GO!)  I am a religious studies major with a minor in business, and I hope to one day become an ordained minister.  I have attended Grace and Holy Trinity Episcopal Church for four years, where I have been particularly active in the Episcopal Campus Ministry.  I have also interned for Grace and Holy Trinity for three years.  Two of these years I spent as a youth intern (shout out to Lauren Kuratko) and one year as a Campus Ministry Intern (Michael Cadaret, you are the man).  This summer I am working in Fauquier County, Virginia at Leeds Episcopal Church as an intern with the Young Priest Initiative.  Because Leeds is a rural community, the transition to Hong Kong will be an even more interesting experience; however, the big city is a calling my name.  I cannot wait to transfer what I learn this summer to my experience with the Mission to Seafarers.
Finally, I will be raising $10,000 this summer.  Any sort of donation is welcome and greatly appreciated.  All donations are tax deductible, and I will provide you with a tax ID upon request.  Checks should be sent to Grace and Holy Trinity Episcopal Church at 8 N Laurel St, Richmond, VA 23220, with Justin Davis YASC in the memo.  If you are not able to make a donation, I ask that you keep me in your thoughts and prayers because this is just as important if not more so.  If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me.  My email is davisjb4@vcu.edu.  Once again, thanks for the support!  I am looking forward to keeping all of you up to date on my experiences in Hong Kong.


1 comment:

  1. What an exciting adventure and mission. I am a retired Naval Officer living in Virginia Beach. I looked at the Mission to Seafarers website and they provide a much needed service to all mariners. Best wishes for your mission. I am sorry that I can not donate at this time to your cause. However, you are in my prayers during your mission in Hong Kong. I visited Hong Kong during my naval career. It is a wonderfully diverse city. You will enjoy your stay I am sure. Bill Hunter whunter9@cox.net

    ReplyDelete