Sunday, September 28, 2014

Visiting Ships and Chillin with Bishops

Hello all!  At the moment I am sitting in the Mariners Club Bar sipping on water (I have a football match at 9:30 tonight) doing some paperwork, reading my fellow YASCers blogs and reflecting on what a whirlwind of a week I have had.  Last week the House of Bishops met in Taipei Taiwan and some of the Bishops and their spouses came to visit Hong Kong.  They were hosted by the Anglican Church in Hong Kong and stayed at the Mariners Club.  It was amazing being able to spend so much time with leaders of the Episcopal Church.  Tuesday I got back from visiting ships and immediately after the Bishops arrived.  I was able to have lunch with them and generally get to know them.  Thursday we had dinner on a junk boat in the harbor and Friday we visited Macau to learn about the work of the work that the diocese is doing there.  Personally whenever I hear the word Bishop my mind immediately goes off into church fairy land (whatever that is).  I realized at the end of this week though the Bishops are normal people just like you and I.  They like to have fun and even had similar experiences that I have had up to this point in my life.  They are so knowledgeable about he church past present and visions for the future that conversation was never dull.  God was seriously looking out for me with this opportunity and I hope to cross paths with all of these wonderful people again. 

I would also like to share a story from ship visiting on Thursday.  Unfortunately I did not visit this ship, but the story is very powerful none the less.  The Catholic priest, Father Valan, whom I normally visit with was on a ship of all Pakistanis.  As soon as he got on board the Captain immediately greeted him and invited him to the Bridge.  Then the captain apologized for everything going on in the Middle East “in the name of Islam.”  He told father Valan that this ISIS and the other extremists are not true followers of the beautiful religion that is Islam.  This man, a sailor who is not involved in the Middle Eastern conflict at all, took time to show what Islam truly is…Peace.  This apology was such a simple gesture and yet I feel that Jesus would have done the same thing.  This captain humbled himself so that others might know what it is to follow God.  Is this not what we as Christians should be doing also?
Made some friends on a ship!

Chillin with the seven Bishops that visited 

1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed your post.
    Bishop Lloyd Allen of Honduras was there.
    Did you have a chance to meet him?

    ReplyDelete